View Single Post
Old October 12, 2017, 12:04 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Why bed the front and rear separately? Does it matter which one I do first (front or rear)?
The front screw is angled on the M77 series of rifles. It adds complication to the job - especially if using pillars. ...And I wouldn't bed an M77, M77 Mk II, or M77 Hawkeye, unless I was installing pillars.
It's easier to do the areas separately, unless you hog out some of the stock for clearance.

It doesn't matter where you start.

Quote:
If a rifle shoots best with a pressure point, something is screwed up. Usually bad bedding.
I agree for the most part, but own a rifle that proved the theory wrong.
I had a Marlin XL7 that I wanted to drop in a better stock than the factory synthetic garbage.
I put it in a laminate stock with an aluminum bedding insert, and everything went to crap. I fought that stock for about a year, finally realizing during testing that the barrel needed a pressure point.
So, I dropped it back into the factory stock (which has built-in pressure points at the fore-end tip), and it went right back to shooting .330s.

I don't like the stock, but that action lives in the factory synthetic stock, now. (I even sold the aftermarket stock.)
Some barrels just don't like freedom...

Page generated in 0.02423 seconds with 8 queries