View Single Post
Old May 16, 2012, 01:17 AM   #20
Mosin44az

I live in Phoenix, have owned both, currently still have my LCP which is my daily carry.

There is a big difference in size between the two, with a huge advantage to the LCP. If you can carry a gun at all, you can carry the LCP. Best for suits or other pants with lightweight pockets. Easily made to look like a wallet with the proper holster.

The Airweights are light enough for pocket carry, but are a bit bulky. I find I am a bit nervous standing in line at the Circle K with an Airweight--it's visible at the right angle in most pockets. Never worry with the LCP.

Both are a bit punishing to shoot, discouraging too much practice. I think the Airweights kick a bit harder, particularly if you cut the recoil on the LCP with a Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove slip-on AND mag baseplate extenders like those available from Ruger or Pearce Grip. The baseplate extenders are key for control with the LCP.

Caliber-wise, a heavy 158-grain .38 is probably better, but I don't feel underpowered with a .380 hollowpoint, particularly for daily urban carry. Alot of work has been done on this caliber and by all accounts the offerings are vastly improved over the last few years.

And the LCP is not finicky, you should readily be able to find a load. I usually buy the Aguila JHP or MagTech SCHP which are usually in stock at Cabela's in Glendale for a reasonable price. J & G Sales almost always has the Aguilas at the shows too.

I am not knocking Airweights--I regret selling my 638, and will probably get a Centennial at some point--but if your purpose is to get something that's definitely easy to carry everywhere, keep the LCP.

Page generated in 0.03233 seconds with 8 queries