View Single Post
Old June 8, 2009, 02:14 PM   #29
doh_312

That is an interesting question. Being in EMS in the great state of Colorado, I'm not required to provide assistance to injured people if I'm off duty. Thank goodness for that, I cant imagine treating anyone and everyone I come accross. I feel sorry for those states that force action for off duty EMS personel.

That being said, I feel a strong moral tug toward helping people in need. But it remains my choice as weather to act or not. If I had just shot someone, there is probably so much going through my head, I dont know if I would want to add keeping him alive to my responsibilities. Accidental shootings, you bet I'm gonna help you. If you deserved a double tap from my .45 then I may be less hesitant to help you.

Think about the BG situation, he thinks he is prolly gonna die, heck you just fired hot lead into his chest. That has got to hurt. What happens if he has a knife in his pocket and wants to take you with him? You kneel to help him and he shanks you in the gut. On the other hand, assuming my aid kit is available (ie: gloves for me, mask for him, pads and such to control bleeding) how could I stand there while he is dying, knowing full well I could help him.

A 911 call describing a shooting with a man down dispatches po po and EMS. So professional help is on the way for him, and response time is usually within five minutes in my area. However, EMS aint even going to pull on scene untill the po po have secured my gun, BG weapons, and any other weapons and BGs. Five minutes can turn to ten pretty quick.

Plus in court, you know the prosecuting attorney will bring up the point of how I am trained to save lives, and I should have helped the guy. This is a slipery slope.

Page generated in 0.02146 seconds with 8 queries