View Single Post
Old March 2, 2007, 10:19 PM   #11
The Gamemaster

- Is that a threat?

Seriously though I won't give you my load because it is over max load by Sierra.
PHP Code:
I will tell you this in my Parker Hale 1200 I'm getting a little better than 3100 fps with either IMR/H4831 using Federal brass and CCI 200 primers 

I'm not getting any pressure signs at all in my rifle.

I also live over 6000 ft above sea level so I automaticly get a little extra speed out of my cartridges.

I use 130 grain Sierra SBT Game Kings as my bullet of choice. - He uses ?

I alway practice with what I hunt with. - Always is mis-spelled.

This is getting good.

. I don't mind sharing my componets but I really don't like giving the grains of powder I use unless it is well within the published specs by bullet or powder manufactures. I call it CYA!! I spend time at the bench and range developing my loads but why do some guys think that I have something top seceret, because I pulled off the shot of my lifetime.

So where is this post going?
I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

We had problems with core seperation with the Sierra Game Kings that was so bad that we found chunks of lead inside deer and chunks of the jacket inside deer and against the skin of the far side of the animal.

The hide is elastic and the bullet expands and seperates and falls apart inside the deer and hits the hide on the far side and does not penetrate the whole way through the deer.

Most if not all the times, a well placed shot killed the deer reguardless. But the couple of times that we had to chase a deer was more than enough to look at other options.

We found that even though the Hornady bullets were cheaper at the store. They actually penetrated better in hunting situations and had better results.

The Hornadys will fly every bit as good at a range of up to 300 yards. So if the reason that you chose Sierra's was for their accuracy. Then you were lead down the wrong road.

It isn't until after you get past the range of 300 yards that the Match Kings and Game Kings were more accurate. Even then the amount of difference was so small that it isn't worth mentioning.

ART ETMAN posted;
As far as the Gamekings: During a discussion here at TFL some years back, a Sierra rep joined in. I had a .30 150-grain SPBT blow up in a deer's neck. I'm getting around 3,000 ft/sec from the load. It was a 30-yard shot.

The Sierra guy said it would not have happened with the flat based 150. The jacket is a tad thicker. The BTs work best with an MV of around 2,800, or impact velocities below 2,700 or so. Well, that makes sense to me, since I've never had an blowup out at 100 or 200 yards with the BT bullet on a dozen or so deer.

So, Taylorce, I'd guess your correspondent's blowup was via the use of a BT bullet driven faster than the design was meant for.

I didn't mean to insult you, I just don't give out Max Loads or over Max Load info to anyone. Call it my CYA clause. If you want to question my loads that work in my rifle then come out here and shoot it. BTW I posted all of our PM's in the reloading forum if you want to defend yourself. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for you.

So where do you get a over max load with a 130 gr bullet and 4831 powder?

In my book, it says that the highest that they went was 56.5 gr. of IMR 4831 and the speed was 3080 at sea level.

You are quoting that you are getting slightly higher than 3100 fps - and that you are at 6000 feet elevation and that it makes you bullets fly faster.

Right there is your 3100 feet per a second and you still havent gone past max. So someone is talking out their arse hole here..

So basically what you are saying is that you know more than the Sierra rep = or that you were not planning on harvesting a deer at anything less than 300 yards?

Your magic powder is shooting hotter than what it did at the factory in a test weapon shot by IMR.

You laugh at someone that told you what was what and posted what he said to you in private and then published it without his permission.

You are not real bright are you?

It was your GANG Mentality that got Jim Zumbo fired, only it backfired because the anti hunters petitioned one of Ted Nugents sponsors and now he is at risk of loosing sponsorship money by trying to take Jim Zumbo's defense.

Here is what Ted Nugent posted in his blog today;

My BloodBrothers, I have never asked for personal assistance on my own behalf, however, DPMS Panther Arms claim they are getting hammered by the antigunners amongst us (lunatic fringe for sure) to abandon any relationship with me or my TV show for my stand to upgrade Jim Zumbo into a pro-DPMS rifle guy. HUH!!! Unbelievable for sure, but the cannibals amongst us are beyond xplanation. I respectfully request any of you who care, to write a brief, POLITE note to DPMS boss Randy Luth

Keep it up and you will just make one more person infuriated that will send unwelcome responses to the people that support your habit until they take away all your terrorist weapons.

Page generated in 0.03868 seconds with 8 queries