View Single Post
Old January 17, 2021, 10:05 PM   #15
Frisco

Okay, number one...

After a justified self defense shooting, you are under NO obligation to PERSONALLY render aid. You are especially not under any obligation to render aid if it will expose you to an elevated risk of further attack from the attacker who forced you to fire in defense of your life in the first place, or any friends they may have who might renew an attack upon you.

It is not at all uncommon to have a downed, presumed dead, attacker "come back to life" and renew an attack. I have seen it more than once during my own decades long career as an LEO. Both officers and civilians involved in critical incidents have been attacked and even killed by attackers who appeared to be dead or unconscious. It happens with enough frequency to be a real concern.

***80-85% of all handgun wounds are SURVIVED...so there is a high chance that while down, your attacker is not dead or even incapacitated enough NOT to renew an attack, they may have simply given up and giving them the chance to get within arms length again may "help them to choose" to renew the attack***

Many attacks are carried out by multiple assailants. Let's say, you have been forced to fire to stop an attack, but only one is down and the others are still being held at (your) gun point. That sure adds a fly to the ointment doesn't it?

Simply asking 911 to "send an ambulance" is, de facto, showing compassion and trying to assure QUALIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANCE responds along with responding officers will be recorded, entered into evidence, and thus also "look good to a jury".

What will NOT "look good to a jury" is YOU bending over a downed attacker, and perceiving a renewed attack upon your person, being forced to fire again and looking like you just delivered a punitive, vengeful, or coupe de grace shot, to any potential witnesses, even honest ones, and give any dishonest ones the ability to say "He shot that innocent man when he was down!" or "He executed that poor victim!".

While "rendering this aid"....which would require at least one hand...are you going to put your defensive sidearm away or your phone? Which one are you willing to put down and lose immediate physical control of?

This is a whole can of worms where I could cite dozens more bad ideas in following the bad advice of the initial poster.

Call 911, ask for an ambulance. Call it good. Remember, this chud taking the ambient temperature challenge just tried to cause you "death or grave bodily harm", otherwise you wouldn't have been forced to fire to stop the attack.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"I was attacked and forced to fire to defend my life. The attacker is down and in need of medical assistance. I need the police and an ambulance at the corner of OH CRAP STREET and POOP JUST GOT REAL AVENUE. I am wearing a pink IZOD shirt and white docker trousers".

"Okay, stay on the line. I have assistance on the way".

Then leave the line open while keeping your pie hole SHUT unless the active dynamic changes drastically like there is a renewed attack by the initial assailant, or friends of the assailant.

Do NOT answer any questions of detail. No estimation of ow many shots you fired or give ANY other accounts of the incident. ONLY say what you see and hear RIGHT now.

"I hear the sirens"

"There is a crowd gathering...how long until officers arrive"

"Officers are here, I am holstering my weapon and holding up my hands".

Dealing with responding officers is next...but I don't feel like going into that right now.

Page generated in 0.04410 seconds with 8 queries