View Single Post
Old August 10, 2022, 09:05 PM   #24
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
When hunting with ANY firearm, you should be able to track any game you shoot across any terrain you shoot them in. That is your duty as a hunter, to make a clean shot and to recover the game shot.

I hunted in norther NV with a friend many years ago, and tracked a buck for him across volcanic desert soil that he thought he had missed but I saw the hit. After about 50 yds, he was ready to give up until I showed him tracks and eventually blood, then we found the buck piled up about 150-200 yds from where it was shot. He was amazed, but I had showed him exactly what I was looking at to track the buck. It just wasn't important enough to him, he thought he didn't need that skill since most of his kills had been boom-flops.

I had learned to track as a teenager when I bowhunted on the CA central coast, where hard, rocky soil combined with thick brush can hide dead animals form sight even as close as 5 yds away. For me, tracking that buck across a rocky hillside was easy as reading a book, to him it was like magic.
I know how to track. When you are in a Thicket full of briers that 30+ does bed in, it's a bit tough when they don't leave visible blood. Tracks everywhere. Hair everywhere. Broken twigs everywhere. Deer droppings everywhere. I can track. I tracked a deer over half a mile on opening season night. Still alive when I caught up to it. My 6 year olds neck shot did not work out so well for him.

Page generated in 0.03237 seconds with 8 queries