View Single Post
Old November 10, 2011, 05:58 PM   #22
Rj1972

Wow Kathy, fantastic parenting job there!! Edit: not being sarcastic. meaning great job for teaching your kids the right way.

I always keep my guns in a pistol safe. It has nothing to do with them being stolen, as someone could easily walk out the door with them. It has to do with 2 things.

1. When I was a fairly young kid (10-12 or so), I was often pretty depressed. Having access to a gun could VERY easily have made that much worse, because those thoughts were present back then.
2. I knew where everything in the house was...everything. I knew where my hidden Christmas presents were, where my sister kept her diary and anything that my parents didn't want me to know about. A "hidden" gun quite often isn't.

While I teach my older kid that if she wants to see any of my guns at ANY time all she has to do is ask and I'll immediately get them out for her, it's the thought of any other teenager or even her getting to that point that a gun seems like a way out.

I had a parent call my wife once during a slumber party for 12 12 year old girls (I'm still not over that party). She asked my wife if there were any guns in the house. At first I was a little offended. Who was she to invade my privacy. Then I realized she's got to be one of the most responsible parent's I've come across. We informed her that yes there are guns in the house. They are locked up at all times in rooms that the girls aren't going to be allowed in.

Page generated in 0.03145 seconds with 8 queries