Thread: casting temps.
View Single Post
Old January 23, 2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Oh and all my Lee molds I smoke with kitchen matches.
That in of its self could be the whole problem. With wooden matches your also possibly getting some rosin from the wood itself along with the smoke which isn't want your looking for.

Before you go polishing things, take the mold apart, do a good scrubbing of the mold halves using some Comet or Dawn, or Bon Ami and an old or new stiff bristle tooth brush. Get all of the "smoked" gunk out of it. If you feel you MUST smoke it, use a Bic lighter or propane torch turned down low and held up real close to get the soot. Your only looking for a discoloration, not really a dark black coating.

That said in most cases the soot isn't really necessary, I have done it and I have Lee molds I scrubbed out a couple of times and not done it on. In the end I usually scrub out what ever I put in and start over with nothing.

I have had just hat your referring to in two of my molds and cleaning and scrubbing them ridded me of that issue. Both of those were smoked using a wooden dowel. That was about the same time I decided to not use the smoke method anymore.

Give it a try and see who it goes. If you feel the smoke HAS to be done, you might try simply coloring in the cavities with a soft lead pencil instead and see how that works for you. I can almost guarantee that either the graphite from the pencil or nothing at all will cure your issue.

Page generated in 0.02476 seconds with 8 queries