View Single Post
Old March 25, 2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Chris_B

Thanks

Here it is, this shows it's wear very well. The rust is something you can hardly feel, it's mostly a patina.

I have talked to Colt. They are not overly willing to do the refinish for a few reasons and they seemed slightly crestfallen when I told them about the job. I would have liked Colt to do it. They cite the age of the pistol for one thing (why the heck do they think I want a refinish on a pistol made in 1920, because it's looking new?! ). They also told me the job needed to be "within reason". Well heck, I've been around the block and I know what that means...if something breaks, they don't want to be liable, and they don't know how to fix it anymore. I've also been told they will have zero parts availability

While having Colt do it would be great, they also will not do it with the original process, which is charcoal bluing, even if they agreed to do it on inspection.

I've talked to a few other places, and they don't care what the age is, they'll do it, with the correct process, becasue that's their business.

I was turned towards a place called Doug Turnbull restorations in New York State, and I talked to them. Their price is actually reasonable, it's the shipping to and from, and the need for an FFL01- they cannot accept a shipment from my FFL03, which bums me out, I go through the trouble of getting a Federal 03 license, keeping books, etc., and it doesn't help me in this case.

Page generated in 0.03190 seconds with 8 queries