Thread: Spotting Scope
View Single Post
Old December 18, 2004, 07:50 PM   #2
LegendF1

Quote:
I want to be able to see holes at 300 yards, and it needs to be powerful enough for scoring at 600 yards, so what would be the suggested power and minimum objective diameter? When I'm prone, I like the straight eyepiece, but I know in competition, the spotter usually sits, so would the 45-degree be better? Does anyone have any experience with Alpen, Zhumell, or Barska? I'd like to find something under $300,
I think those might be mutally exclusive. Jim Owens at Jarheadtop.com has a Guardforce 45 degree scope with a 20x40 eyepiece and tripod for $220, I think those will take the Kowa eyepieces, so you could sell the 20x40 and buy a 25x LER eyepiece from Kowa and start off pretty good. If you have pit service, it's not the holes you'll need to see, you'll have spotter discs to see way out there. Maybe it's just me, but I've had troubles seeing .22 caliber holes at 300 with a Kowa 821 on a hot day. I just bought myself a Kowa 661 from Jim, I can't recommend him enough, but he's moving from WA to AL, so you might have to wait a few weeks to get a hold of him again. I'd say somewhere around a 60mm objective bell would be good; don't bother with variable power eyepieces, a fixed 25x or 27x, somewhere around there, will do you good. Do get a long eye relief eyepiece if a scope you're looking at offers it. Kowa, Leica, and Swarvoski(sp) seem to be common on the line, I don't have any experience with the brands you mentioned. Matter of fact, Jim's got a used Kowa TSN-1 with an Ewing stand on his site for $575. I'd jump on that if you could, I doubt that will last long.

Page generated in 0.03189 seconds with 8 queries