View Single Post
Old January 21, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
msmith81

HELP! I need advice with my Ballistic Vest.

Hello,

I work for my local school district as a District Resource Officer, and I need some solid advice about wearing my ballistic vest on duty. My district doesn’t provide vests, but we are provided Tasers, OC, and soon to be carrying batons. Given the nature of my job to approach intruders, as well as search kids with possible weapons, and occasional drugs, I felt it prudent for me to purchase a concealable ballistic vest since I occasionally find myself in situations that could go south fairly quickly. I was wearing my vest today, and it was noticed by the Associate Principal at the high school I was working at. He brought me into his office and chided me for wearing a vest, and we debated for some time about why I felt the need to wear one. He told me I would not be allowed to work at his school while wearing my vest. He then contacted our Director of Security, whom I talked to by phone, and I was informed that wearing a vest would be considered part of my equipment and uniform, and that it would have to be authorized by the school board (which is highly unlikely), before I am allowed to wear it. I was later approached by a student who told me that the Associate Principal had been mocking me and making fun of me in front of her and other students over my choice to wear a vest. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Wearing a vest concealed is a purely defensive measure and puts no one at risk, and very well may save my life or the life of someone else if I am shot and still able to subdue a suspect. I need some solid advice as to my rights and the best approach of how I should handle this, since this should be a non-issue and was made into a HUGE issue. I’m not planning on backing down on this one, as I feel our officer safety should be priority number one. Should I approach the local paper, speak at a board meeting, etc.? With the recent rash of school shootings, I feel it well within my rights to choose to wear a vest, and telling me if I can or can’t wear one is similar to telling me what underwear I’m authorized to wear. Thanks in advance for your input!

Page generated in 0.02826 seconds with 8 queries