View Single Post
Old August 21, 2008, 03:43 PM   #8
PigPen

May I take a swing at answering that please. No the main thing is not that she feels comfortable with it. That might be the case for a firearm that she plans to shoot quite a bit. In a drawer beside the bed, I assume you intend it for self-defense. That means that the main thing is stopping the advance of or running off and intruder.

I figure that anyone stupid enough to break and enter while you (or your wife) are home, is a potential threat to persons living and at home. In self defense, bigger is more lethal. Yeah, the sound of gun fire will probable scare the intruder away but what if it doesn't? Most any woman, especially with a little range time, can handle a 38 Special. Buy a 38 special, load it full with +P LSWCHP. Let her practice with standard loads. Yes, I know some here will disagree and say practice with what you shoot but A. She will likely fire only one shot and B. adrenalin will keep her from noticing that she isn't firing what she fired in practice rounds. No adrenalin will probably not compensate for the deafening report, blinding flash, heavy pistol when loaded, over penetration and other features of the 357.

No, a semiauto is in my opinion not well suited to the needs of occasional shooters....especially if they are not very mechanically inclinded. I know that it has more rounds but they are seldom needed in a real-life gun fight.

It's hard to beat a 38 special--especially for beginners and women. YMMV.

PigPen

Page generated in 0.02813 seconds with 8 queries