View Single Post
Old February 5, 2001, 02:36 AM   #1
OF

Howdy all,

I'm looking into picking up a weapon-mounted lamp for my HK USP40. The gun will go into a simplex-lock box and be the primary house pistol. I've done a bit of research so far and have narrowed the field to two candidates:

- Wilcox 'Beamer' 6V visible/IR [~$270]
- SureFire 309R 3-volt [~$240]

The Wilcox is hard to find information on, so I'm more interested in experiences with that unit than the SureFire. The 309R is well liked, it would appear, and a good bet any way around.

The Wilcox seems to have a couple potential points in it's favor, however:

- It's supposed to be built like a tank. Waterproof, drop it in the mud and sand, the whole thing. I've heard mixed reviews on the SureFire lights and their ability to soak up abuse. I like gear that can take a beating.

- There's an IR mode on the Wilcox which, while perhaps being less-than-practical, is still undeniably cool.

- The unit has a separate mount (that stays on the gun) and a detachable light unit. I can put the lamp on more weapons later by purchasing only the mounts and not whole units, even long guns.

The price is fairly comparable, the Wilcox is a bit more expensive, but not enough to make the decision. If more mounts are added later, the Wilcox system supposedly reaps more cost benefits as time goes on.

Does anyone have any experience with these units, and what would you do? Why have I not heard more about the Wilcox system, it sure looks nice.

Thanks folks,

- gabe

Page generated in 0.03875 seconds with 8 queries