View Single Post
Old June 10, 2013, 08:40 PM   #46
Malamute

I've had several pistol caliber carbines over time, the ones I have now won't take the same loads that my pistols like without work (OAL and bullet nose profile issues), not sure if they will at that point. I rarely ever shoot them, and never carry them. It's the same as several other mentioned, if I grab a rifle, I want the range or power a rifle represents. Even a 30-30 has a flatter practical trajectory than any of the pistol rounds in a carbine (sight in 2 1/2" high @ 100 and see the difference @ 200). Whatever I can do with a pistol caliber carbine in my neighborhood, I can do at much farther range with a 348, 30-06, 35 Whelen or 338, and I also prefer the 45-70 to pistol caliber rounds in a carbine. Places with thick woods may not be so much of a difference as regards range, or places without the larger critters with sharp edges may not need the power difference. I can see the appeal to them, for several reasons, the common ammo could be nice, and pistol calibered carbines are generally lighter, but for my uses the rifle calibers are more practical.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; June 10, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Page generated in 0.02355 seconds with 8 queries