View Single Post
Old October 26, 2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Sevens

Quote:
With the coal of 2.250 they shoot 1/2 inch and less at 100 yards. With the coal of 2.200 they shoot 1 to 1 1/4 inch at 100 yds. They are not for competition, just range shooting. But it just aggravates me that I could have made such a big mistake and loaded this many with the wrong coal. They are Hornady soft points and Hornady Vmax bullets, seems to me to be a waste shooting them knowing they are not as accurate as they would be with the right coal. Maybe I am being too picky.
You are not being too picky, you are doing the right thing.

There is a lesson here and it's being dealt to you in exactly the same manner it's been dealt to all handloaders over time.

When you go great gonzo with production and you haven't done your due diligence to ensure that you have exactly the product you want/need, you screwed up. You made a large pile of something that isn't what you truly want because you either skipped a step (development & testing) or you got too excited and you loaded a large mass of something when you shouldn't have, because you didn't test it enough.

Boy, I've sure done it. Taking them apart sucks out loud. Very labor intensive and this is labor that's not all too enjoyable.

It's a helluva lesson and should keep you from repeating your mistake. It certainly worked on me. My great failure? I thought it would be fun to load cast lead full double ended wadcutters in .357 Magnum to high velocity. I kept upping the powder charge to ensure it was safe and it was indeed safe. So I made 200 of them!

Only took about 10 of them to lead the hell out of my barrel. Of course, they were hard roll-crimped and even pounding the crap out of a kinetic puller wouldn't pull those slugs and break them down.

How did I get out of that jam? I paid the price for the lesson. I cut the rounds in HALF, losing the brass, dumping the powder, recycling the bullet, still lodged in the mouth of the case. The whole thing was pure rookie foolishness.

Page generated in 0.03497 seconds with 8 queries