Thread: .410 for HD?
View Single Post
Old March 23, 2010, 06:20 PM   #20
Lee Lapin

kid,

A while back my oldest niece decided she wanted a long gun at home, and that long gun was going to be a shotgun. She traveled most of the length of the state of NC (from Black Mountain to Pembroke) so her dear old uncle could put on a session of Defensive Shotgun 101 for her. We watched most of Louis Awerbuck's shotgun video after she got here, and set up a range session next day. First thing was to lay out a table full of various shotguns for her to try.

She settled on a Remington 870 Express Youth model in 20 gauge. There was by coincidence a 12 gauge duplicate of that gun on the table, an Express Turkey with a 21" VR barrel and a stock shortened to a 13" LOP. I asked her why she liked the 20 better, and she said it was just easier for her to handle than the 12. She had shot most of what was on the table, so it wasn't an issue of recoil as much as overall lighter weight and handiness that attracted her to the 20 gauge.

So she finished out the class with it, and next day she took it home with her.

I'd suggest getting one of the youth model 20 gauge pumps right off the bat if she's average size, so you don't have to do extra stuff to get the gun to fit her. But whatever it takes, the gun needs to fit her well, first thing.

Good luck and happy shopping,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Page generated in 0.03492 seconds with 8 queries