View Single Post
Old September 17, 2008, 12:07 PM   #5
azredhawk44

I think it's also a function of how much OTHER gear you might be carrying.

If I hunt in a pretty tame part of AZ with good vehicle access everywhere, I may only carry my rifle and a minimal pack with water, first aid stuff and a game bag. I'll use the best rifle for the job at hand, regardless of weight. I've been known to hike around with my M14 at about 12 pounds scoped and loaded.

But, up in the White Mountains, way off the beaten path and trekking down into deep valleys, that M14 gets really heavy when I also include the other stuff I bring. I don't like being 40+ miles from the nearest help by helicopter (100+ miles by road/foot) without some better emergency gear just in case. So, my pack may weigh 15-20 pounds, especially since I consider the possibility of being caught out overnight in cold weather.

I'll hike from base camp several miles to a place to glass the hills or call, maybe hike around after daybreak, settle in somewhere else for dusk and then hike back to camp. A 12 pound rifle is vicious. I've done it, but this year I've decided that plenty of deer and elk have been killed with the .30-30 and I can leave the M14 in the safe. That's 6 pounds I save. It also balances much better for 1-handed carry.

Page generated in 0.03898 seconds with 8 queries