View Single Post
Old July 6, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
BrianBM

Guided Hunting on Horseback

Ladies and Gentlemen, good evening. New guy on site; new guy in this Forum.
I've been lurking and Searching a while, and have a few questions about possible hunting. Never tried it, but thinking about doing so.

Besides being flabby and nearsighted, I'm short one leg. Stalking deer, or anything else, isn't practical. I'm not going to get more then a couple of hundred yards from the SUV, ATV, or horse, and the first time I hunt I'll need to do it with a guide to correct my textbook-only notions of how to dress an animal. On the other hand, I don't mind the company of a horse at all. They don't argue, any more then my cat, with my opinions on politics and the economy. This makes a horse decent company, for a few days.

I read of riding horses on hunts only in the context of elk in the west. That's not the right venue for a novice to start. Do any of you know of, or care to recommend, a guide who hauls his clients around for deer, in the northeastern US or adjacent parts of Canada? Post a note.

BTW, Rich Lucibella - that thread on your first mule deer was the best-told hunting yarn I've read here. Very informative, a fun read. Now, on to the Handloading forum!

Page generated in 0.02303 seconds with 8 queries