View Single Post
Old June 19, 2013, 03:51 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I would think the military installations would be exempt from the gun crazies there, but don't quote me on that one. The military bases sort of have their own laws to enforce
Military installations are FEDERAL property. State laws only apply to the degree that the Federal govt says they do. Federal law, and the UCMJ (which is also Federal law) are what applies.

For many years the Fed did not recognize state laws, (particularly environmental laws) as applying to Federal property. This changed a while back, and now, generally the Fed's position is to comply with state laws where possible.

As to any state gun law being enforced on a military base, its doubtful. The military has their own rules and requirements for lawful posession and storage of privately owned firearms. IF you have your personal AR in storage in the arms room(or at the provost marshall) the military is not going to care that the state of California has now decided it is a prohibited article. And I very seruiously doubt any state agents would be allowed to arrest you for having it, because having it on the base (complying with all Fed rules), its not a crime. When its on the base, legally, the gun isn't in California, and no crime has bee, or could be committed.

Stepping outside the base gate with your AR would be an entirely different matter. You have now brought the "prohibited" gun into the state of California, and they now have legal jurisdiction.

Page generated in 0.03508 seconds with 8 queries