View Single Post
Old August 19, 2002, 02:10 PM   #11
TGS

.5 gr. variation

Ive bought various makes of cast bullets and always sort. Ive wondered what type of variation came along with L/C's. If what your saying is typical its money well spent. I have found that a box of other than L/C's (500) would have a range up to as much as 5 grains. and as much as 15 grains from nominal. Your L/C's are excellent. I have never tried L/C's!
There is a lot of information about cast bullets and bullet casting www.loadyourown.com enough to get me into doing just that.
Alloy consistancy (lead tin antimony %'s), cast temp, iorn or aluminum molds ( I am using aluminum to start with).
I have found that lower s.d. most often yeild tighest group but its sure not carved in stone. Lower s.d. are accomplished with the least amount of variation accross the re-loading process. I have definitely measured the difference. If all my bullets in the string vary less than .1grs and another string varies from min to max .9, everything else being equal, the .9 string will have a higher s.d and the group will more often than not be greater.
Just stands to reasn that the less variation in a process the more predictable the results will be. Primers also play into it. Ive made up strings with all elements equal and yeilding my lowest s.d then use 4 different primer mfg's and the s.d. goes out the door. I try to cast my bullets with .5gr max variation and I have not yet been successful using a six cavity mold when moulding 300 - 500 bullets. If I use one cavity, with no change in alloy, no change in temp, or cadence it has happened.
Bullet casting gets very addictive as does the use of a chrono. Be sure though...if you keep down the variation you keep down the cost. What I like about casting my own is if I dont like them...melt them

Page generated in 0.03070 seconds with 8 queries