View Single Post
Old October 23, 2020, 09:23 PM   #4
Ceapea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
They aren't unusable and I've never heard of the jackets being strpped off because they were inside the case (or the case crimped over them).

They could very well be Speer bullets just in a Hornady box. Speer made "half jacket" swc /hp for a long time. They were actually closer to 3/4 than 1/2 but close enough.

I can find NO Hornady pistol bullet like that. Including way back in the 60s. The only half jacket Hornady I can find is the 100gr .30 cal. Speer did the same bullet called it "the plinker" The Speer was a RN, the Hornady was more pointed.

I can not find anywhere that Speer and Hornady "were one". or "worked together", ever. Vernon Speer and Joyce Hornady were both very proud of their bullets and were (friendly) fierce competitors.

So, I'd say its almost certain the SWC short jacket bullets you have are Speer made and just wound up in a Hornady box because that's where a previous owner put them.

Now, about your idea for using them in light loads, DON'T!!!!

The problem with jackets separating on these bullets is something Speer knew and constantly warned against. Jacket separation could happen with TOO LIGHT a load. Speer specifically stated those bullets were made for high velocity loads and the jacket was there to prevent leading in the bore.

I shot a lot of those bullets in .357s in the 70s (146 & 160gr) at full power loads and never once had any problem, they were damn good bullets. (didn't have a .44 in those days or I would have shot the 1/2 jackets in them, too)

BUT NEVER shoot them at low velocity & pressure levels. Doing so risks the jacket coming apart from the core in the barrel, with the core exiting but the jacket might not. You can clearly see the potential problem if that happens.

Simply put, if you gave the bullet a firm boot in the ass they always stayed together and performed well. If you didn't, they might not, and sometimes, didn't.

You are essentially correct about the case volume when loaded to .44 Mag length, the shorter special case just doesn't reach as far up on the bullet as the longer magnum case.

However, that is immaterial to shooting the half jacketed bullets, as far as powder volume is concerned. Case length, and being able to crimp over the forward edge of the jacket is what matters.

Those bullets need to be fired at full speed. They need to be crimped. The only place to crimp them is over the leading edge of the jacket, there is no other crimp groove or cannelure. Its what they were made to do.

Don't shoot them at low speeds, its a BAD idea.

If that doesn't work for you sell or trade them, there's still quite a few folks who remember them and would use them today if they can get them.
Thanks for that info. So maybe loading them a bit shorter (.030”, or enough to crimp over the jacket) and going to some mid level or slightly higher loading, it could work. Well then there is loading them in 44 mag cases too.
But as far as Hornady and Speer being together goes, I’ve found one or two articles in the past that states that they did indeed work together in the 40s. I even called Hornady back when I got the bullets...10 yrs ago, or so. They confirmed that at one time, there was a collaboration between the two. And yes, mine are the swc 240s. And I was planning to crimp them. Just below the leading edge of the jacket. I want to make these loads for a Henry single shot 44 mag rifle. Supposedly the same heavy barrel contour as the 45-70.
Thanks again.

Page generated in 0.03459 seconds with 8 queries