View Single Post
Old January 19, 2013, 10:15 PM   #25
Gatofeo

NOTE:
THERE IS A MISTAKE IN MY ORIGINAL POST!
It was the February 1972 issue of the American Rifleman that has the article, not the 1975. This recently came to my attention when a cap and ball shooter in France ordered the 1975 issue and there was nothing of the sort in it.
So, if you wish the full article (which really doesn't contain more loads than I've listed) order the February 1972 edition.

Colt's manufacturing used women to assemble its paper cartridges. The famous writer Charles Dickens, wrote of this when he visited the factory in the late 1850s or early 1860s. I can't recall the exact year.
Manpower was short during the war, so I'm sure that contractors used women and children to assemble paper cartridges as well.
Colt's was a very benevolent employer. Employees lived in company housing, were treated very well, had recreational opportunities and were encouraged to expand their knowledge through education or additional training.
Among those who profited from from Colt's encouragement were Mr. Pratt and Mr. Whitney, who went on to design early aircraft engines.
Employing women and children was a common practice. Sam Colt and those who managed his factory after his death recognized that happy workers were productive.
They also recognized that if you created a favorable work environment, word got out and some very talented, innovative and creative people would apply to work there.
Sam Colt may have had an illegitimate son with his brother's wife. His brother may have been convicted of murder and sentenced to execution (he killed himself just before the execution). Sam may have engaged in what we today consider questionable or shark-like business practices -- but the more I read about him, the more I have to admire his treatment of employees.
Getting a job at Colt's Firearms in the 19th century, and well into the 20th century, was a good career move for many.

Page generated in 0.03478 seconds with 8 queries