View Single Post
Old August 21, 2017, 10:59 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

The longevity of ammunition depends on two things, the quality with which it was originally prepared, and the storage conditions is has lived through, since.

During the early 1970s, I fired a quantity of 1918 US military ammo, both .30-06 and .45 ACP. The cases were a dark brown. There was no visible corrosion.

ALL fired normally. NO case failures. Had some Israeli stuff made 79-80 that had 7% fail to fire and 11% of the fired brass was cracked.

I have some 1897 6.5x55 Swede ammo that has some of the brass cracked at the shoulder, some 100+ years after being packaged on stripper clips. Most likely due to powder degradation.

And, its a fact, that while black powder is incredibly stable inside loaded rounds, smokless is not. Some is, some isn't.

Even with proper storage conditions, it is POSSIBLE for the powder to breakdown, releasing nitric acid fumes, which attack the brass, and in extreme cases cause it to crack.

How long does this take?? no one knows with certainty, because of the differences in powders used and the way they are made. Some last a century and more, some go bad in a few decades. Storage conditions absolutely play a big part in this as well.

Modern militaries don't bother to test old ammo to see if it is still good, they just go by a pre determined date, and sell off anything too old.

I have reloads that I made, with no special care taken for longevity, going on 40+ years old now. Last time I shot any of them, performance was identical to what they did when "new".

I've got a few hundred rounds of "Tet offensive" ammo for my M14 (M1A) in an ammo can. I have complete confidence in the LC65 headstamped ammo working perfectly when/if I ever need it.

Sometimes, you do get ammo that doesn't last. It happens. Of course, you won't know it until after the fact. Decades of proper storage doesn't worry me, at all.

Unknowns do.

Page generated in 0.03228 seconds with 8 queries