View Single Post
Old October 13, 2016, 10:16 PM   #17
mmb713

I started loading 45 Colt with RCBS carbide dies. I did add a Lee FCP to crimp though. Much easier to adjust the level of crimp with that die when switching from plated to jacketed bullets and it does give a very good roll crimp. Also no need to remove the seating stem every time to crimp in a separate step. Over the years I've added the Lyman M die for expanding and a Redding competition seating die. I now use a mixed four die set, RCBS to resize, Lyman to expand, Redding to seat, and Lee to crimp.

All of my 45 Colt loads have been loaded in Starline brass that I bought when I got my Blackhawk. I have never fired factory 45 Colt ammo. Every round through my Blackhawk and my Redhawk have been my handloads in Starline brass.

As has been posted the New Vaquero in 45 Colt cannot handle the "Ruger-only" 45 Colt loads. Neither can the 45 Colt flattop Blackhawk. They both use the smaller 357 frame. My 44 frame Blackhawk handles them just fine and my Redhawk screams for even more. My wrists and elbows prefer the milder stuff though.

Page generated in 0.02560 seconds with 8 queries