Thread: Run and Gun?
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2001, 11:15 AM   #14
Quartus

Quote:
Bullets are much faster than people. Take cover if there is any and SHOOT!
Quote:
If I can hit them while running, and make it harder for them to hit me at the same time, is this not a Good Thing™?
Exactly. Your speed is miniscule compared to the slowest bullet, therefore running straight away from or towards a shooter presents him with an effectively stationary target. Only if you are moving across his field of view are you harder to hit.

The experience of the Israelis in tank warfare might be realistically extrapolated to the handgun situation. They were very effective against Egyptian tanks ('73). Their tactic was to come from a full run to a full stop as quickly as possible, aim, fire, and boogie. This has a twofold advantage:
  1. Accuracy. Firing from a rest they could actually aim. They scored an impressive number of hits on the Egyptians. The Egyptians, in contrast, fired on the run and scored few hits.
  2. It messes up the BG's aim. If you are moving across his field of view, he may be tracking you, preparing to fire. If you suddenly stop you break his tracking. Of course, you are now a stationary target, but you have the advantage of surprise.

Charging straight at your opponent may provide a pshychological advantage, i.e., you may shake him up so bad he drops his gun!

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.

Page generated in 0.04118 seconds with 8 queries