View Single Post
Old August 5, 2013, 06:28 PM   #34
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
In 2013 Joe’s Gun Shop buys WWB 9mm ammo for $10 (inflation plays it’s role) then puts it on the shelf for $30. Mark up of 300%. Was 60% now 300%.

What would us “Commoners” call what Joe is doing? Gouging!

My local Walmart sold WWB 9mm in 2010 for $10. They are selling it now for $15. The very same ammo, might even be the very same lot number as the ammo at Joe’s. Walmart is making a profit, otherwise they wouldn’t be selling it.

What would us “Commoners” call what Joe is doing? Gouging!

May not be a 100% correct term, but it’s fitting.

*Be advised that Joe’s Gun Shop is a mythical title used for dramatization. If there is a Joe’s Gun Shop out there, no harm intended. No one named Joe was injured during the filming of this documentary.
Retailers do NOT price their goods based on what they paid for it, but on what it costs to replace it - look at your gas station when prices change - if he sells it too cheap so folks like you come in and clean him out because everyone is selling it for higher prices he not only loses money, he cannot pay for new inventory which will cost him more nor will he be able to draw customers since he has nothing to sell. Without a constant cash flow he closes. Just because YOU do not like his prices, does not mean that someone else isn't WILLINGLY going to pay his asking price.

Let me post this little analogous story -
Mary goes into Joe's butcher shop and asks hims how much his whole chickens are. "$3.79 per pound", Joe replies. "$3.79 per pound!, why that's robbery. Max across the street has his chickens priced at $1.79 per pound!", she cries in exasperation. "So why aren't you over buying his chicken?", asks Joe. "Because he doesn't have any!", she says. "Well", says Joe, "When I don't have any chickens, my price will also be $1.79 per pound"...........

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; August 9, 2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling - as USUAL....

Page generated in 0.02860 seconds with 8 queries