View Single Post
Old November 5, 2010, 08:04 PM   #12
CapeCodShooter

First, only a holder of a MA License to Carry (LTC) can own or even possess a handgun in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. There are two kinds of LTC. Only an LTC-A Without Restrictions allows concealed carry within the Kommonwealth. Only an LTC-A allows carrying "large capacity" firearms, which includes most autoloading handguns. An LTC-B allows rifle, shotgun and revolver carry inside the licensee's own homeand sometimes his store (depending on the endorsement on the license), but not on any "public way." An FID covers long guns and is easier to obtain. Could this sysem be any more complicated?

MA is a "restrictive may-issue" state. Licenses are issued by the Chief of Police of each town or city. Some towns are gems -- I received my unrestricted LTC-A in less than 40 days. Boston has its own set of crazy rules, and never issues an unrestricted LTC-A.

The transportation of guns across state lines can be federal felony, even if your intentions are good. Possession of a gun in MA without an LTC is a state felony. If your Dad wants a handgun, he will need to get a license first. Then a gift certificate or a transfer between FFLs can be arranged.

I am a retired attorney, but this is not legal advice. It is, however, a word to the wise. Good luck!

Page generated in 0.02053 seconds with 8 queries