View Single Post
Old October 7, 2000, 03:37 PM   #7
BadMedicine

I must be the only one in this whole chat who is going to oppose what you did as "wrong." This is not a reading, or spelling, or comprehension test. This is a hunters saftey test, and whether or not they have good reading skills has nothing to do with hunting safely. True, you do need to read the regulations to find out when and where you can legally hunt, but tell me how many of these nine year olds are going to hope in the truck, and drive down to unit 38B to do a little hunting when their parents aren't around??? By failing these kids, you are failing the sport, not only as an instructor, but as a hunter. Now when the dads of these kids get up on saturday, to go hunting, they won't take their kids, and the kids will stay home and play video games, or some other "brain-rotting game" when they could be out with their dad bonding, and learning about nature, and wildlife, and our role as a hunter. Was it really worth the hour you saved by not reading them these tests to have cheated them on that?? Maybe next year when they can read better they'll be to afraid to fail again, maybe they've decided that they no longer want to hunt, or spend time with their dad. I'm very disappointed. These young kids just want to hunt with their dads, and the govt said they can't until they're ten?????? and even then ythey give them some test aimed towards 16 y/o's, with big words that are confusing, and instructors who wont walk them through the tests??? You couldn't have maybe given them other sorts of tests like a walk in the woods with a gun, or other stuff that tests their saftey. Like a when to shoot, when not to shoot? I don't care if these kids our out in the woods when I am, I've been out there hunting with a loaded gun since as long as I can remember. I didn't pass a hunters saftey course until I was 12, cuz you had to be that old to hunt in Idaho, but Uncle sam be damned!! I was going to hunt with my dad!!
I would much rather be out in the woods with kid, who is there learning the propper handling and saftey from his dad, then some 21 year old, whose never hunted before, and don't have to take the hunter saftey course. It makes me really sad that you have restricted these kids the right to hunt just because they can't read big words. Bad.

[This message has been edited by BadMedicine (edited October 07, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03388 seconds with 8 queries