View Single Post
Old March 8, 2010, 02:26 PM   #43
orangello

Recently, at the small local gunshow held at the local fairgrounds multipurpose building, a well-trained Deputy with the local Department accidentally shot himself in the toe with a .22 mag rifle that had been purchased for his kid (who had been carrying it around the show for a half hour or more). Apparently neither the seller nor the well-trained LEO checked the chamber to see if the rifle was loaded. I can't believe they didn't even check the rifling and barrel condition. This Deputy was no rookie and had supposedly taught some firearms safety classes at some point; now he is probably called "MR. NO TOE". If it can happen to a trained LEO, much less with a rifle purchased for his child, then who else could make such an error? I always find the shows exciting & very interesting; maybe these factors just distract some people too much.

I am OK with everything being unloaded inside the building & for the duration of the show. IIRC, there are a couple of armed deputies right handy at the door for any emergencies requiring an armed response. Other places outside the gunshow don't usually have a couple of armed LEO's quite so nearby/handy & individuals may find more need of their properly permitted concealed firearms.

I did notice one of the dealers with an open carry, cowboy style revolver at a nearby show, last year. It was a really nice-looking revolver, and honestly, i wondered if the dealer's open carrying might have been more for advertising his wares than for his defense/comfort. This show also had deputies at the door, but i am not 100% on that show's concealed carry rules.

Page generated in 0.02574 seconds with 8 queries