View Single Post
Old January 28, 2014, 10:12 AM   #6
twobit

I have not had a J frame for about three decades. A couple of years ago my wife got a LCR (a present from me) and she likes it a lot. I wanted to get her a small revolver such as a J frame to replace her semi-auto CCW. I compared the LCR side by side to a 642 at my local gun store, dry-firing both, and I preferred the LCR's trigger, the grips, and the lighter weight.

When my wife got her CCW many years ago I gave her my back-up gun (Walther PPK/S) as it was the only non full-size handgun we had. She carried it as a CCW for years, but the slide stiffness and the thin hard grip was becoming an issue for her hands as she got older. She wanted something else, and at first was against a revolver. I got the LCR and let her try it, saying that if she did not like it I would keep it for myself and get her another semi-auto. She really likes to shoot it. Since getting the LCR she has stated that she really prefers a revolver now over a small semi-auto.

I'm about to get another small size CCW for myself because I too don't like the thin hard grip of the PPK/S. My biggest complaint about the PPK/S however is its heavy weight compared to the LCR. I've had that PPK/S since about 1990 and probably will never get rid of it, but it is heavy compared to today's offering of small guns and as I get older (over fifty) I want an everyday carry that is comfortable.

Although I am again looking hard at a S&W 642 TALO, I am still leaning toward getting another LCR because of the lighter weight and the trigger. The purist in me says "J frame"....but that LCR is a nice gun, and so easy to carry. I bet the LCR will win out when I finally make a purchase in mid-year.

P.S. I should have never sold the "Chief Special" I had many, many years ago but the semi-auto bug of the eighties caused me to sell it and a 686 that was my first duty gun. My PPK/S and my 92FS replaced those two as my duty and backup pair. Bad thing about the chief was the open hammer. I don't think any small "pocket" revolver should have an exposed hammer.

Ruger now does offer the LCR with an exposed hammer, but it is not for me. I believe they have come out with it as a "test bed" to possibly transition this LCR trigger group into their full size revolver line. I suspect that soon their 101 will have it's current trigger group replaced with their new technology LCR trigger group and it will be a full size revolver with an exposed hammer/LCR trigger.

Last edited by twobit; January 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM.

Page generated in 0.02359 seconds with 8 queries