View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 07:47 AM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

25 ft is not too close, if certain criteria are met...

1st... the plate should be angled towards the ground... plates that tip over, direct the bouncing bullet upwards, if you are shooting knock over or reactive steel, you should back up...

2nd... the steel should ideally be ( AR ) abrasion resistant ( 500 seems to be the right number ) or be replaced as soon as the surface gets dented, or cratered... ( a 22 LR, as stated by the OP, is likely fine with a good thick piece of regular steel ) if the bullet strikes the bottom of an existing crater, it can direct the bullet upwards, back at the shooter... if it strikes the side of the crater, it can bounce them back at a sideways angle

3rd... ideally soft lead bullets should only be used when shooting steel... IMO, plated bullets, in center fire, & copper washed 22 bullets are usually fine... hard alloy cast bullets, & jacketed bullets should be avoided...

4th...eye protection with side shields should always be worn when shooting steel...

5th... reduced loads should be used when shooting close range steel... the extra power is not needed to get the bullet to 25 ft, & the plates will last longer... for semi autos, loads should be kept to a minimum that will reliably cycle the gun...

I've shot a lot of CAS stages, often at as short a distance as 10ft... directing the bullets down, in combination with lighter loadings in CAS revolvers, I've never witnessed a serious injury... I have seen big old hunks of lead roll out of shooting stages before, the ones I've witnessed, I'd suspect were hard cast, & at least 2 of the incidences I can think of, were shot out of black powder guns, where lighter loads are not often practical... I can't tell you how many times I've been hit by lead shot, bounced off of a shotgun knock down target, because of the shot being directed upwards, during the plate's falling down... if you angle that plate towards the ground, it'll greatly reduce bullet bounce back

if these certain safety tips aren't adhered to, the chance for injuries is greatly increased... I remember seeing a video of a guy shooting a 50 Browning, at some unremembered long distance range, that was hit by a ricochet, & that was at least several 100 yards away

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 1, 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.02334 seconds with 8 queries