View Single Post
Old August 27, 2012, 03:50 PM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, it is a good idea. I've found by experimentation that coaxial alignment of a chambered round with the bore measurably reduces group size. Not so much with jacketed bullets, but with cast or softer plated bullets it matters. Keeping the back end of the case up to a maximum useful working diameter in any type of handgun helps with that alignment. In a revolver, in particular, if you both keep the base diameter up and use a bullet that's sized within a thousandth of an inch of the throat diameter and that is at least starting into the throat when you chamber it, that also improves the alignment. In a self-loader, seating out to start the bullet into the throat and headspace on the bullet further improves the alignment.

In the 1911 I've had that combination of loading steps cut group size by 40%. In a .38 Special K-frame revolver it cut 3" 25 yard groups to 1.5". I like the Lee Tumble Lube designs for this especially as you can use any of the little "microbands" as a crimp groove for revolvers and get the bullet seated right where it works best.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03211 seconds with 8 queries