View Single Post
Old September 4, 2011, 05:12 PM   #52
Glenn Dee

Zukiphile...

OK... First allow me to present my bonifides.

I spent 25 years working as a police officer, and then a detective in New York City. I have worked in every kind of neighborhood from the worst public housing to Rockafella center. I have made arrests for every crime imaginable. I have participated in all kinds of investigations, I've exicuted hundreds of warrants, I've answered every kind of call for service imagineable (even loose livestock). Hopefully this would qualify my statements in your mind.

A persons attitude has very little if any bearing on how I do my job. I treat everyone equal. Good attitude, or bad. When you treat everyone equally, people tend to react in a positive way. I dont think I'd be able to treat everyone equally if I got side tracked by their attitude. 99 9/10's% of all people want to be treated with respect, and fairness. If and when treated with respect, and fairness people tend to respond in a positive way.

Also when you dont respond to a persons attitude they soon get bored with themselves and forget what they were angry at in the first place. When your concerned with a persons attitude you become at their effect. They begin to steer your attitude, and actions. Then you become part of the problem, and not part of the soloution.

Again I did say that attitude may have little effect on me in the course of my duties. The police have in some cases some distreation. More often a person with a positive attitude would cause me to consider using whatever discretion I may have on their behalf.

Perhaps your confused with what the police actually do. The highest priority any officer has isnt to get a bad guy, or write X amount of tickets, or even to save the world. A sane police officers highest priority is to go home at the end of his tour in the same condition he came to work.

Zukiphile I hope this clears up any questions you may have. real police work is nothing like on TV... and is mostly quite boring.

Glenn Dee

Last edited by Glenn Dee; September 4, 2011 at 05:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.03664 seconds with 8 queries