View Single Post
Old March 15, 2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Bill Akins

Thanks again fellas, glad y'all liked my special draw video.

Okay [email protected]. Here's the lyrics to the song I wrote that you'd like to read.

You have to realize that some of the lyrics are dated to the 1970 movies and t.v. shows I was comparing the older western films and 50's t.v. westerns to when I wrote the song back in the early '70's. Dated lines such as "Mary Tyler Moore's become a bore....". The Mary Tyler Morre show hasn't been made in many years now. "Clint Eastwood's gone detective" was referring to his Dirty Harry character and that he had just about stopped making westerns except for "The Beguilded" and the much later made "Unforgiven" (Neither of which I cared much for).

But maybe I could update the lyrics and make it more pertinent to today. Of course the first verse would have to start out as "Fifty years ago...." instead of "Twenty years ago", cause I wrote this OVER 30 years ago. In some parts in parenthesis below I explain a few things, such as Sterling Hayden and Gene Barry and Tex Ritter's tune. Those are just explanations and not part of the song though.

I called it, "John Wayne you left too soon".

Verse #1.
Twenty years ago through the biggest knob on your black and white t.v. screen. The sixguns blazed everywhere it stayed and the Lone Ranger was king. Richard Boone wore a horse head chess piece and Paladin's hideaway gun, young Clint in a show called Rawhide, Steve McQueen was the wanted gun. Hugh Obrian played Wyatt Earp, remember his fancy vest? A white shirt and his buntline specials, he outdrew all the rest, Nick Adams as the rebel, Clint Walker as Cheyenne too, where have y'all gone I ask in song, I've got the western blues.

Bridge
Now Clint Eastwood's gone detective Gunsmoke's gone and I miss Matt, I'm sick and tired of sitcoms, I want my westerns back. Rory Calhoon at the movies, Gene Autry strummin tunes, I want some more just like before John Wayne you left too soon.

Verse #2
Now Tex Ritter's gone but remember his song...(Next six words sung to the tune of "Do not forsake me oh my darlin") Do not forsake my western drama....Gary Cooper's gone too and I'll tell you...the Dukes of Hazard won't quite do. Maverick's gone to Rockford files, Bat Masterson's in Burkes law, (Gene Barry 1950's "Bat Masterson" in modern 1970's era law drama called Burke's law) Bonanza's doing re-runs, Sterling Hayden was gonna make Jaws. (Hayden was supposed to be the old fisherman in Jaws but didn't take the role) Now Randolph Scott's a businessman Roy and Dale where are you at? Mary Tyler Moore's become a bore I want my westerns back.

Bridge
Now Clint Eastwood's gone detective Gunsmoke's gone and I miss Matt, I'm sick and tired of sitcoms, I want my westerns back. Rory Calhoon at the movies, Gene Autry strummin tunes, I want some more just like before John Wayne you left too soon.

Verse #3
Barry Sullivan was The Tall Man, Clu Gallager Billy The Kid, Chuck Conners as The Rifleman, Duncan Renaldo the Cisco Kid, The Grey Ghost was a southern soldier, I was his biggest fan, now the sitcoms have took over and that I just can't stand.

Bridge

Verse #4
Tombstone Territory was a great one, Bronco Lane a good one too, Jim Bowie with his big knife, Rin tin tin with the boy in blue. Shotgun Slade with his scattergun, Festus with his mule, I miss em all but I recall, I hope that you do too.

Bridge

Verse #5.
Wagon Train and Sky King's plane beat All In The Family's drool, Conrad in the Wild Wild West and Artie were so cool. They may be gone but by this song I remember a few. If I left some out without a doubt you'll remember some westerns too.

Bridge
Now Clint Eastwood's gone detective Gunsmoke's gone and I miss Matt, I'm sick and tired of sitcoms, I want my westerns back. Rory Calhoon at the movies, Gene Autry strummin tunes, I want some more just like before John Wayne you left too soon. Yeah I want some more just like before....John Wayne....you left....too soon. (Followed by a yodel like Roy Rogers did with the Sons of the Pioneers in the song "Hold that critter down" or "The Devil's Great Grandson").

End.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.03504 seconds with 8 queries