View Single Post
Old January 26, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Hardcase

If you're terribly concerned, you should probably talk to a lawyer. As far as whether or not somebody could sue you if they blew themselves up with the gun, yes, of course they could. Anybody can file a suit against anybody else for just about anything. Now, if the suit has no merit, it won't go anywhere, but there's no 100% absolute protection against somebody coming after you in court.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I have been involved in a few product liability suits as an engineer, so this is the non-legal advice that I'd give you based on what I've experienced: if you sell a gun, make up a couple of receipts. Include on the receipt that the gun is being sold as-is, with no warranty for its performance or safety. Provide a detailed description of the firearm. If you know that the gun has a defect, put it on the receipt. Keep a signed copy for yourself.

Gun makers try to protect themselves from liability with the legal disclaimers that you'll find in the owner's manuals. They also carry liability insurance. And sometimes, they lose.

Like I said, if you're really concerned, see a lawyer.

Page generated in 0.03533 seconds with 8 queries