View Single Post
Old May 9, 2006, 02:06 PM   #16
DobermansDoItGoofy

Loss of habitat ...

When I was a child I remember waking up to the sound of 'bobwhite' and I remember looking out my window and occassionally seeing a covy of quail wandering through my yard... The first game I ever shot and brought home to cook... was 'quail'. I know a few places where they can be found out in the wild - but it's not like it used to be. The biggest problem is I think loss of habitat rather than 'anti-hunting sentiment'. What keeps me from hunting more these days(not just for quail but for any game) is not the lack of firearms or a change of heart in regard to the desire to hunt - but the expense and trouble of it. Don't get me wrong - I find a way to do it - but I think it's harder these days for people to find a reasonable place to hunt.
I'd love to go to Africa and hunt a Cape Buffalo - but I can't afford it.
I'd love to hunt Elk on a regular basis - but I can't afford it. I'd love to walk down the road and go hunting...but there's new housing subdivisions being built all over the place...and it's just harder to find a place...where I can casually go out and hunt all day... Today when people hunt - they have to plan for it like it was a business meeting ie. 1) find a place(often via a guide) 2) drive all day in a $40k SUV to get there 3) When they get there - it's as if they've arrived at a Golf Course ie. there's the stand!!! 4) the deer seem to arrive on schedule 5) Booom - well, the $2000 Weatherby did it's job again this year!!! Yawning....... My favorite hunts were when I was a young adolescent in the moutains of North Georgia...when I would set out exploring....and the hunt was indeed a hunt...and if I came up empty...I still didn't feel cheated !

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries