View Single Post
Old January 12, 2000, 08:40 PM   #13
Ed

Your questions in order:

1. Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.

2. Set up a loading bench complete with storage shelves, and in an area where you can work UNDISTURBED. It is VERY important that you are not distracted while reloading. You can get bench plans from NRA. Then buy as many different loading manuals as you can afford.

3. Try untested loads your buddies or the guys at the range tell you about. Stick with the data in the latest manuals and you won't get in trouble. A few more fps isn't worth taking chances for.

4. Can't think of any that you should strictly avoid. Lee products are bad-mouthed sometimes because of their somewhat flimsy appearance, but lots of people swear by them. I have used one of the cheap Lee presses as a sort of back-up unit for small batches of rifle ammo, and it works fine. I try to avoid using powders that don't measure well. Ball powders flow through the measures much better than flake types.

5. Well, I started 40 years ago with an old Pioneer rig, so I can't say what I would do differently. I guess I would try to bite the bullet and get a better outfit to begin with. Also, I would be more careful. I have had a few mental lapses over the years, luckily they weren't in really critical areas, but they could have been just as easily as not. I still have 10 fingers and 2 eyes, so I guess it could have been worse.

Page generated in 0.03803 seconds with 8 queries