View Single Post
Old October 14, 2017, 06:48 AM   #17
highpower3006

Quote:
"BTW, there is no such thing as a gas valve on an AR."

Well, sort of. All of my hosts have adjustable gas blocks or adjustable piston systems.
Sigh... I knew that there would be a nit picker out there.

Perhaps I should have been more pedantic and said that nearly all standard AR15's come with a fixed gas block, i.e. either a standard triangle front sight or a low profile gas block and only modified, rifles either factory or owner modified, will have adjustable gas port regulation.

While I know that there is likely to be some difference in port pressure between suppressed and non suppressed gas operated firearms, in the two examples I am familiar with, I can't feel any noticeable difference in felt recoil.

One is a standard 14.5" barreled M4gery with a AAC M4-2000 and the other is a SBR with a 10.5" barrel, running the same M4-2000. Both have standard carbine length gas systems and both cycle perfectly w/o the can. I expected the recoil to increase enough to notice when the suppressor in on the M4gery and was surprised that it felt the same.

On the SBR, I was concerned that I would have some cycling issues due to the extremely short dwell time after the gas port, but it seems to work okay unsuppressed and, like the other rifle, I can't notice any difference in felt recoil with the can on it. I have seen no evidence of increased wear on the bolt components but then I only have a few thousand rounds through it.

I do replace the gas rings from time to time, but I consider that to be a part of the normal maintenance on a gas operated AR.

Page generated in 0.03075 seconds with 8 queries