Thread: 300 win mag
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Clark

I have a couple factory 300 Win Mag rifle and one I built on a VZ24 action.

I am now opinionated about the belted magnums.

Despite how Bart Bobbitt does it, an old pic of him is the NRA icon for accuracy, and I am no one compared to him, I still have my own opinions:
1) The belts on the brass are hardly ever more than .215", so why bother with the SAAMI spec of .220" minimum? I chamber 300 Win Mag and 7mmRemMag at .215".
2) The primer pockets get loose at ~ 5kpsi more pressure than Mauser case heads [30-06 type] get loose, but before that limit is reached, the case swells in front of the belt. You can buy the Larry Willis die or keep the brass dedicated to one rifle. I like to run the loads kind of wimpy [not near as wimpy as load books] so that the brass will fit back in the chamber after firing.
3) I like to use the shoulder and not the belts for reloads. This makes the brass last longer and lots less trimming ect. I consider a hunting 300 Win Mag shooting well with 5 shots at 100 doing 1.5" or 3 shots doing 1". This would be terrible for Bart Bobbitt, but with MY low standards, using the belt vs shoulder on reloads does not make any difference. I am not some national level target competitor. I am just killing ruminants.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.03013 seconds with 8 queries