View Single Post
Old November 13, 2013, 07:53 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

From a seated position - such as in a car - either driving or riding - I would prefer to carry cross draw as it's easier to access, at least for me, from that position.

In AZ a couple of years back, a guy drove in to a drive in pharmacy to pick up a prescription. From the write up I saw, two girls - yes - I said girls - approached his car. One from the driver's side and one the passenger's side. His doors were evidently unlocked. They surprised him and attempted to rob him on the spot. He wasn't carrying but one of the girls had a pistol - he managed to get it away from her - she shot one and the other one got away. While he wasn't carrying, I have run that scenario through my mind a number of times. If it was me, I would have had major problems trying to draw from my strong side (right) in that circumstance but could easily have cross drawn. You learn from such incidents as these . . we always lock our car doors and try to be aware of situations where someone could approach the car either to rob or hijack the car.

My normal carry is on my right side - I carry OTB - I'm talking in AZ where even though you can open carry, I usually have a shirt tail covering so it doesn't print. If I had to cross draw while standing, it would be hard as my right shoulder just doesn't work as well as it once did - it's hell to get old.

As far as the mention of "cavalry" carry - butt forward on your strong side - if you can do it, more power to you but I doubt if most folks can or could draw that way quickly if necessary. The one thing that has always been drilled in to me by instructors, and I've had some good ones with not only military special ops experience but solid street experience as well - is to carry in whatever manner works for you so you can draw if necessary as if it is "second nature". That requires practice, practice, and more practice. Your body should be trained so your hand finds the weapon naturally and that you can not only draw without looking, but replace the weapon in you holster without looking. All the time doing this you should be scanning back and forth looking for further trouble and more perps. At a recent range session, scanning was one of the most important things they concentrated on as well as draw and replacement of the weapon without looking. If we went to the "at the ready" position with the weapon in front of us, pounted down range and down at an angle, our eyes and heads had better be scanning or else we were promptly and sternly reminded.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03028 seconds with 8 queries