View Single Post
Old July 21, 2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Picher

I try not to shoot for groups when the wind is switchy and strong, but if it's fairly uniform, I bring up to 5 wind flags with survey tape tails to help me dope the wind.

Actually, I look for repeated conditions, both in direction and speed and try to shoot the same condition whenever possible. A three or five shot group can usually be shot with close to the same conditions, not so with a 25 bull rimfire benchrest target. We try to limit shots to two or three fairly uniform conditions when shooting matches.

If a condition isn't one of the previous known ones, we shoot a sighter or two and log that condition if it stays uniform.

I made my own wind flags, using plastic sign board and wire coathangers. Cheap music stands with the angled top cut off and a bearing made from a 1/4" carriage bolt with a hole drilled in the top, a bit larger than the coathanger wire serve as flag stands.

In a pinch, a broomstick driven in the ground with a hole drilled in the top and piece of brazing rod bent on a 90* angle with a loop on the end to hold a piece of survey tape tied to it, will work reasonably well.

Page generated in 0.02527 seconds with 8 queries