View Single Post
Old June 12, 2019, 10:23 PM   #19
Flyboy_451

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Awesome looking rifle! I just "dipped my toes" in the high power 338 myself having bought the savage 338 LM LRH. And I have zero experience at anything beyond 475 yds since I always developed with hunting in mind. I don't know about the AI--but my rifle shot sweet from the very first load using H1000. One thing that is a bit of a mystery to me about this cartridge is the usual ELR baseline of 300 gr Berger (which I think is now replaced with the 285 gr as the "ideal weight") @ 3000 fps; I can't figure out how to do that without straying into psi's way above SAAMI or manual's specs; unless I guess that's the point of the custom jobs?
@StagPanther,

If you want to hit 3,000 fps with the 300s, you're going to have to seat the bullet beyond magazine length, and probably switch to RL33 powder. I am seating bullets almost a full 1/4" beyond mag length and not even pushing yet, as I am still fire forming brass to the AI chamber.

I'm currently loading 95 grains of RL33 and getting about 2,750 from the 31" barrel. In fire formed cases, I should have about 10 grains of additional powder capacity, so will be able to load in the neighborhood of 105 grains of powder. Pretty sure I will hit 3,000 without too much effort.

Page generated in 0.02746 seconds with 8 queries