Thread: SG bead
View Single Post
Old September 21, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
RoscoeC

When I first started getting into serious sporting clays a few years ago, I tried everything. Those long ones with the tube so the weak side eye couldn't see it, the glow worms, etc. As I progressed, I realized that wasn't really where my focus should be. My thinking is that while your brain doesn't notice it, because your concentration is on the target, you still see it. The gun I use exclusively for sporting clays now, a Browning Cynergy came with a "green worm" front bead. I also have a Beretta AL390 with a plain bead that I shoot almost as well with. So, I don't think it makes much of a difference, but while I don't realize that I am seeing it, I know that I actually am. The problem is that most new shooters have shot rifles and they think that they need to focus on that front bead and what they really need to do is ignore it. I do have an issue with eye dominance, and like the late Dave McCracken, I have learned to call for the target with both eyes open and just before I trigger my shot I wink my left eye. It took some work, but now it just comes naturally.

I know that there are some teaching techniques that utilize a BB gun with the front sight removed. Learning to hit targets with no front sight reference would certainly teach you to ignore it.
NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.03404 seconds with 8 queries