Thread: Chronograph?
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Here's a link to the recent thread. In that, I also recommend the CED M2. I also have an Oehler 35P and find the Millennium (mine is the older model) matches its readings well. Bryan Litz mentions having a similar experience with these two machines in his book. RSI says a German military study of chronographs for armorers that found the CED matched their Doppler radar readings most closely of all models tested.

That said, the reviews at Midway are mixed, looking like QC issues. It appears that if you get one that's working well, it's great, but that you can also get a lemon. The advice in one review was be ready to test is as soon as it arrives so you stay inside Midway's return policy window. I think I would read those reviews, then buy a unit from RSI, just in case Midway recycles its returns. It'll also give you a chance to talk to Jim Ristow and ask if he's had problems with returns. I know he did stop carrying the CED pocket scale because of that, though the one I got is terrific. He said that's the issue. You got a good one or you didn't. Since he still carries their chronograph, I'm assuming it hasn't given him that kind of grief, but you can check.

I did notice one negative Midway review in which the buyer complained about an error in the fixed 18" sensor spacing. The CED spacing is 24", so this fellow clearly was having issues with someone else's chronograph unit and put his review in the wrong place.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.01916 seconds with 8 queries