View Single Post
Old September 14, 2012, 06:50 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

In the long run, it's whatever works best for you and the rifle/smoothbore you're using. A long rifle with a 40 - 42 inch barrel that's 3/4" across the flats is a lot lighter than one that's 7/8" across the flats. A shorter rifle, such as a Hawken style that may have a 1" or a 1 1/8" barrel is going to be held a lot differently than say a Vincent rifle with a 13/16" barrel.

Try different ways and you'll find what works best for you.

I'm always amazed by the comments on flintlocks - I don't know why some folks think that the flash int he pan is a big deal or why a flintlock lock should be any slower than a percussion lock. A well tuned flintlock with a properly place flash hole will provide fast and efficient ignition. I've also seen some pretty impressive shots at 200 - 300 yards by some folks with flintlocks. Like anything else, it's dependent on the shooter knowing his rifle, how it shoots and what he has to allow for drop and windage depending upon conditions. If someone doubts that, they should watch a "Gunmaker's match" sometime at Friendship where no one knows the distance to the target (tis match is shot offhand) or visit some shoots where they have long distance matches. My favorite flintlock is my Fusil de Chase - yes, it's smoothbore but it allows me to shoot either RB or shot. Being smoothbore, it's not a "200 yard gun" but with practice, it shoots RB pretty well. In years past, I've taken ducks with it on the wing that were out there at a pretty good distance. You have to forget about the flash and concentrate on the shot just like any gun.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03274 seconds with 8 queries