View Single Post
Old May 11, 2012, 05:09 PM   #22
fastbolt

Another consideration is the relative cost between the regular Airweights rated for +P and the Ti/Sc guns chambered in Magnum (or the M&P's with their PVD treated stainless cylinders and Sc frames).

The MSRP for the 442/642 is about $450 ... the M&P 340/60 is about $870 ... and the 340/360PD is about $1020 ... and the 60/640's running between-ish.

You can buy a couple of holsters and a fair amount of ammunition for the difference between an Airweight and an Airlite. More range/practice time, too.

Personally, I wouldn't carry one if I couldn't shoot it safely, controllably, accurately & rapidly. Maybe someday I'll reach that point. Dunno. (Aging and some physical conditions, injuries & ailments make shooting harder recoiling handguns increasingly difficult, if not impossible, right? Especially for some folks who were "Magnum enthusiasts" as younger shooters. I'm pushing 60 as it is.)

I know one large (1200+) LE agency that was exploring issuing 5-shot J's to its officers as secondary/BUG guns. Last I heard, after some range testing & evaluation it was felt that standard pressure 148gr wadcutters might be a preferable load (being considered against +P loads) due to the much improved shooting/scoring demonstrated by some folks involved in the evaluation. Dunno what became of the program, though, as I got distracted by other issues since the last time I spoke with someone who was involved.

I don't know what LAPD is authorizing/issuing to its folks who bought the .38 Spl Only M&P 340 variation, but I'd not be surprised if it's probably one of the newer +P loads. NYPD uses the Speer 135gr +P GDHP. (Although I've read that their duty/authorized ammunition contract is scheduled to be up for bid this year, and Winchester was reported as being interested. Anybody hear anything further?)

I think folks ought to shoot what they can shoot best in the little J's, taking into consideration they might have to do so under the stressful and difficult conditions involved in an unexpected shooting situation.

I do.

I can do well with Magnum loads ... but I can do even better, recovery-wise, using +P loads. The difference between going from standard pressure up to +P isn't as noticeably different, for me, like it is going from +P up to Magnum. That matters to me.

Page generated in 0.02340 seconds with 8 queries