View Single Post
Old July 31, 2009, 11:38 PM   #3
fastforty

What you witnessed may have been simple shoplifting. With 1 or 2 security guards on scene, there'd be no need to jump in the middle of it, armed or not. While they often do more, a security guard's purpose is to observe and report- a lot of retailers don't want them to go hands on & risk a lawsuit for infringing on a criminal's "rights".

Carjackings take place in a matter of a scant few seconds. If you're the victim of a car jacking, you'd be very fortunate to have time to draw your weapon before you were dragged out & conked or shot. As a witness to one, you most likely wouldn't have time to do anything to prevent it from taking place & you'd only endanger someone by showing up too late & trying to stop it.

I know, we'd all like to think that we could do something to help in a time of need. But, it takes time to assess a situation & you durn sure don't want to go off half cocked and help the wrong party (or hurt the right party). Situations like these have to be handled on a case by case basis, and you don't want to be responsible for an escalation that causes harm or lose of life to an innocent.

Page generated in 0.03683 seconds with 8 queries