View Single Post
Old May 30, 2018, 07:25 AM   #29
TunnelRat

I've said multiple times on this forum that everything is a balance of time and money. Even those that are more fortunate are typically limited in time. For me personally I can take as many courses as I can because I am within driving distance of one of these schools. It dramatically reduces the costs on my end. I also don't have any competing hobbies when it comes to disposable income and until recently didn't have a busy family life.

The reality is training costs money, and the people that can go multiple times are typically wealthier than not. Do I think just because someone doesn't have training that he or she shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm? No. That to me is a fundamental right. I do think people sometimes lose track of the purpose of training. Training shouldn't be about proving how good you are to others. It should be about improving your own skills. The measure of how you did in a course isn't how many people you were better than, but how you're doing at the end of the day as opposed to the beginning. The reality is for many people training makes an objective improvement in their shooting.

One issue I do have is I encounter a number of people at ranges that tell me they don't have the time or money for training. This is typically after that person just got done showing off a new firearm. The number of people I know that burn plenty of money on buying guns but next to no money training with them is concerning. I also used to be one of those people. Even one basic course a year, or one more involved course every couple of years, is something and when you take the cost as a percentage of what many spend shooting in a year it often isn't that high. There seems to be an attitude that you should be able to progress completely on your own and that training is a waste. Even professional athletes have coaches and trainers.

And lastly, and this isn't directed at people here, but there are those that won't do training simply because it means confronting the mental image they've built of themselves and seeing if it lives up to reality. For some folks there is an ego factor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.02824 seconds with 8 queries