Thread: FAL
View Single Post
Old June 21, 2012, 11:42 PM   #9
KChen986

To lend credence to my response:

I have a 21" Imbel FAL built by CAI. It is a great gun. Good ergonomics. Soft recoiling. Feeds, fires and extracts all the crap I put through it.

It is a big gun though. I would be happy to use that thing in a big, flat open environment, but put me in to a house with that thing, and I'll be an unhappy camper.

I also have a 18" DSA Para FAL. It's pretty neat. Ergos suck though (chin weld through and through). Very front heavy. Kicks like a mule due to it's different spring system. I almost feel like I'm heaving a M249 when I use this FAL. Occasionally get early lock backs, and had a double feed w/in 100 rds of owning the gun. To be fair, these could be magazine issues.

OTOH, the AR15. Even with a 20" barrel, I do not have much problem practicing room clearing with it. It also reaches out to 200 yards with ease. Mine have all been reliable. Ergos like a champ. I can snap up the gun very easily at close quarters or at distance. Mag reloads are great. It's light, agile, maneuverable, and feels right at home shouldered.

Here's what I would advise:

1.) Keep the AR15. It's a very good platform.
2.) Save up for the FAL. $700 for an used, vetted FAL (unless you want to go high speed with a para, then you're looking at $1,800, minimum). I honestly think the regular FAL is superior to the para.

FWIW. Hope this helps.

Page generated in 0.03031 seconds with 8 queries