View Single Post
Old April 1, 2011, 05:56 PM   #12
DiCarnage

Okay, this is gonna be long...

Where to even begin...?

Years ago I was a security contractor with the DOD in Iraq. I wasn't a very big guy (I'm 6' but I could never break 200 pounds, staying around 170-175), but I was gifted with a very athletic body at a young age. Needless to say, being in shape was a high priority for me.
One year I decided to take a PT class at a local college, and maaaan... I guess Japle was the instructor, because every day this guy who was older than my father (I was 30 at the time and my dad is 32 years older than me) would take us through the most amazing core training regime I've ever encountered!
That guy didn't instruct us, he led us. With the exception of our pre-check-in run, he did every exercise with the class, which included 500 crunches of different sorts, and this was 5 days a week.
If he required us to run during class, he ran with us, and he taught me more about pushing myself past my perceived boundaries than I learned in the military or the police academy, because he didn't make you do it, he told you how to do it. Gave tips on how to dig down for more, not just mentally, but physically. He would say "Work out smarter, not just harder." Like taking larger strides if you're tired, because you can slow down your pace, but still cover the same amount of ground at the same speed.
He taught me how to increase my lung capacity by actually exercising my lungs the same way you would do with any other muscle group (which blew my mind).
I've taken all sorts of combat classes and done things to work on reflexes, but learning perseverance from that junior college instructor has been one of the most important things I've ever done.
The reason that matters now is because 5 years ago I was paralyzed by a head injury. I've spent the past few years fighting my way back from being a quadriplegic, and let me say, it has been an incredible (and eye-opening) journey. I'm capable of walking now, but I'm what's called a hemiplegic because one side of my body is more severely affected by the paralysis, much like a stroke victim.
These days EVERYTHING is about physical training. I work out daily with my pistols (an Astra A-110 and Sig P220) because they're much cooler and "manly" than the purple 3 pound physical therapy weights.
There is no "fast" exercising for me these days, so reflex work is out for the time being because nerve damage prevents rapid muscular responses, although shooting guns is helping to overcome that issue, at least with my arms.
I cannot run or jump, but just about everything becomes a cardio workout because of physical difficulty.
And I am proud to say that today I discovered that I am strong enough to finally do a standard pushup! (but not two)
I'm lucky enough to have a history that has provided me with a wealth of situational knowledge, and a lot of shooting/self defense dynamics. I'm working on building a modified range training program for myself and perhaps for others like me.

I guess my point is this: Don't let your physical self slip away from you. You never know when your capabilities will be diminished. While you have the time, take the time to make yourself better. PT, even if not daily is an important part of shooting well.

PS: Whenever I get bummed that I can't squeeze the trigger faster, I just pull up a Youtube of Jerry Miculek blasting off at the speed of light, and I remember that no-one else can do that either.

Page generated in 0.02563 seconds with 8 queries